Upgrade with miles on partner airlines
Enjoy a higher cabin of service
Use your AAdvantage® miles to upgrade on American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia flights for yourself or anyone you designate.*
Upgrades are valid to the next cabin of service and are valid for a single one-way trip with a maximum of three segments. Upgrades are subject to capacity controls. Excluding award tickets, the following eligible fare types can be upgraded:
- Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y (excluding Military or Government fares) on American
- Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y or B on British Airways or Iberia
- Premium Economy with published World Traveller Plus fares booked in W (unrestricted fares only) on British Airways. Doesn’t apply to Excursion fares.
- Full-Fare Business with published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways or Iberia
|To / From||To / From||Full-Fare Economy to Premium Economy**||Premium Economy** to Business||Full-Fare Economy to Business||Business to First|
|North America^||Africa (via Europe)||20,000||20,000||40,000||50,000|
|North America^||Indian Subcontinent / Middle East (via Europe)||20,000||20,000||40,000||50,000|
|Europe||Europe||– Not available||– Not available||10,000||20,000|
|Europe||Asia Region 1||22,500||22,500||45,000||55,000|
|Europe||Asia Region 2||17,500||17,500||35,000||45,000|
|Europe||Indian Subcontinent / Middle East (via Europe)||15,000||15,000||30,000||40,000|
|Europe||Central America / South America Region 1||– Not available||– Not available||35,000||45,000|
|Europe||South America Region 2||22,500||22,500||45,000||55,000|
|Asia Region 2||South Pacific||12,500||12,500||25,000||35,000|
*Includes travel on codeshare flights marketed by American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia and operated by any of the three carriers.
**Upgrades on British Airways from Economy Class are valid to Premium Economy where a Premium Economy Cabin exists.
^North America is defined as the U.S. (including Alaska and Hawaii), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.
Taxes and carrier-imposed fees
- Mileage upgrade award tickets are subject to applicable taxes and security fees and may incur additional taxes as a result of upgrading to a higher class cabin.
- Upgrading from Economy Class to Business Class or First Class results in additional premium cabin taxes and carrier-imposed fees, including but not limited to flights originating in Great Britain and France.
- If the ticket is priced in USD, the additional taxes and carrier-imposed fees will be converted to USD at the time of ticketing.
- Please contact American Airlines Reservations to obtain applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees for specific itineraries.
Mileage upgrade award reservations
- All upgrades are subject to availability at the time the mileage upgrade is requested. Mileage upgrade seats may not be available on all flights or to all destinations and are subject to capacity controls.
- No waitlisting or standby is allowed for an upgrade on British Airways or Iberia flights.
- The upgrade is a single cabin upgrade from the cabin booked, to the next cabin. This may vary depending on which carrier operates the flights and the aircraft configuration.
- A maximum of three segments in one direction may be upgraded. All segments being upgraded must be on the same ticket.
- The fare conditions of the original purchased fare will still apply.
- Tickets upgraded using mileage upgrade awards will accrue miles based on the original purchased fare.
- American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia flights or codeshare flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia are eligible. Reservations booked through a source other than American Airlines must include at least one flight with an American Airlines flight number in order to be eligible (includes codeshare flights operated by British Airways or Iberia but booked as an American Airlines flight number.)
- Cancellations to the original ticket purchased 7 or more days prior to departure will have up to 24 hours from the time it’s ticketed to be eligible for a full ticket refund including the reinstatement of award miles and a refund of the co-pay amount paid.